Our Austin obgyns offer preconception planning tips to make your pregnancy successful
When women decide to get pregnant, they often think about the morning sickness, swollen ankles and body changes. Before the stick actually turns blue, though, our Austin obgyns want our patients to consider the importance of preconception planning. We believe a healthy pregnancy begins by ensuring that your body is pregnancy-ready.
Understanding the benefits of optimal health before pregnancy
In our women’s health clinic, our Austin obgyns stress the importance of advanced preparation for pregnancy. Although most women know that they should take pre-natal vitamins, eat a healthful diet and get plenty of rest during pregnancy, many do not realize the preventive measures they should take before getting pregnant.
When you visit our Austin obgyn practice, your physician can discuss the recommended preconception planning steps designed to promote a healthy pregnancy.
Helpful preconception tips from our Austin obgyns
Many factors affect your pregnancy. Some of them, like genetics or physical limitations, are beyond your control. Our Austin obgyns suggest the following proactive preconception planning for our patients who are considering a pregnancy in the near future.
- Schedule a checkup. Even if you aren’t due for a well-woman exam just yet, make an appointment with one of our Austin obgyns. During this visit, we can review your overall health, make sure your vaccines are current and discuss any concerns you may have.
- Start taking a folic acid supplement. One of the critical components for your baby’s development is folic acid. Your prenatal vitamins will contain this important ingredient; however, for extra peace of mind, we suggest taking 400 to 800 micrograms of folic acid each day before you start trying to conceive.
- Maintain a healthy body weight. If your body mass index (BMI) is too high or too low, you may have difficulty getting pregnant or experience additional complications during pregnancy. Losing even 10% of your weight can make a difference.
- Engage in a healthy lifestyle. Smoking, alcohol use and illicit drugs can all increase the risks of miscarriage, as well as the likelihood of pregnancy complications such as low birth weight. If you need additional support for these issues, talk with your Austin obgyn.
- Manage any chronic illnesses. Before you conceive, make sure you have conditions like asthma, diabetes, sickle cell anemia or epilepsy under control. Your obgyn can review your management plan with you during a preconception appointment.
Put your trust in the capable hands of our Austin obgyns
Preparing for a pregnancy begins even before conception. If you are thinking about getting pregnant, our Austin obgyns can provide preconception planning. Contact us for more information or to schedule a consultation appointment with one of our caring Austin obgyns.
Our Obstetrics Services
- Preconception Planning
- Prenatal Care
- Pregnancy Checklist
- Pregnancy and Weight
- Managing Labor Pain
- High Risk Pregnancy Care
- Labor & Delivery Tours
- OB Services
- Preconception Counseling
- Ectopic Pregnancy
- Recurrent Miscarriage
- Vaginal Birth
- C Section
- Follow-up Care After Delivery
- Diabetes in Pregnancy Care
- Multiple Birth Management
- Fetal Growth Management
- Preterm Labor Risk
- Cervical Incompetency
- RH Factor Disease
- Obesity and Pregnancy
- Placenta Previa
- Gestational Hypertension
- Pregnancy from IVF and ART
- Vaginal Delivery After Cesarean (VBAC)