Our pregnancy checklist helps you prepare for a healthy baby, healthy birth
Our Austin obgyns have prepared a pregnancy checklist that helps you anticipate the many aspects of pregnancy. We look forward to conversations and planning ahead to make you feel better equipped for each new phase of pregnancy.
Follow our pregnancy checklist in the first trimester
Prenatal care is the most important item on any pregnancy checklist. It’s vital for a healthy pregnancy. During the first 13 weeks, our Austin obgyns will normally see you once a month.
— Office on Women’s Health & Government Services*
To get off to a healthy start:
- Schedule your first prenatal visit.
- Start taking prenatal vitamins/folic acid.
- Get first trimester screening tests, including the following:
- Blood type
- Rh factor
- Complete blood count
- Infections – sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Hepatitis B
- Urinalysis and culture
- Immunity to rubella, or German measles and chicken pox
- Genetic testing (if desired)
During the second trimester, you have some decisions to make
Our pregnancy checklist for weeks 14 through 27 advises you to make some decisions about what kind of birth you would most like to have. You will continue to routinely see our Austin obgyns once a month.
- Investigate childbirth classes.
- Discuss cord blood banking.
- Have glucose screening to check for gestational diabetes.
- Have your anatomy ultrasound.
The third trimester is pregnancy’s home stretch
Weeks 28 through 40 bring you closer to the finish line and our ultimate goal for you – delivering a healthy baby to a healthy mom. Our pregnancy checklist during the final trimester includes routine visits with our Austin obgyns every two weeks until week 36. At week 36, you begin weekly visits until you give birth.
- Enroll in and attend infant care and breastfeeding classes.
- Select a pediatrician.
- Monitor fetal movement.
- Have third trimester screening tests:
- Rh antibodies test if you are Rh negative
- Group B strep test
- State of Texas mandated lab tests prior to delivery
The most important item on the pregnancy checklist is caring for you and your baby. Our Austin obgyns help ensure the best possible pregnancy and delivery. If you are looking for caring, compassionate obgyns to help you navigate pregnancy, contact us for an appointment.
Our Obstetrics Services
- Preconception Planning
- Prenatal Care
- Pregnancy Checklist
- Pregnancy and Weight
- Managing Labor Pain
- High Risk Pregnancy Care
- Labor & Delivery Tours
- OB Services
- Preconception Counseling
- Ectopic Pregnancy
- Recurrent Miscarriage
- Vaginal Birth
- C Section
- Follow-up Care After Delivery
- Diabetes in Pregnancy Care
- Multiple Birth Management
- Fetal Growth Management
- Preterm Labor Risk
- Cervical Incompetency
- RH Factor Disease
- Obesity and Pregnancy
- Placenta Previa
- Gestational Hypertension
- Pregnancy from IVF and ART
- Vaginal Delivery After Cesarean (VBAC)